Monday, December 31, 2012

My Favorite Books of 2012!

My Favorite Book of the Year
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce was long listed for the Man Booker Prize and made a few “best book” lists as well but my reason for loving it more than any of the other great books I read this year was simply that it made me happy and it made me think. After the horrific events in Sandy Hook earlier this December, it was the book I most wanted to revisit.  It’s a powerful, yet light novel that reminded me to live in the moment and to appreciate everything and everyone around me.  I’ll post a complete review of it soon but please read this fine review to learn more about it.

Links to complete reviews of books reviewed on this site are embedded in the titles. Short descriptions of all the titles listed below can be found here.

2012 – My Favorite Novel of the Year (almost a tie with my favorite book)

The Round House by Louise Erdrich

The Runners-up: 
The Lighthouse Road by Peter Geye and 
Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer

2012 – My Favorite Nonfiction Book of the Year


2012 – My Favorite Memoir


Runners-up: 
House of Prayer No. 2 by Mark Richard
Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal by Jeannette Winterston and 
Wild by Cheryl Strayed

2012 – My Favorite Debut Novel

Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer

2012 – My Favorite Historical Fiction Novel

The Lighthouse Road by Peter Geye

2012 – My Favorite Book Club Book

The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce

2012 – My Favorite Thriller or Suspense Novel

Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn

2012 – My Favorite Mystery

The Beautiful Mystery by Louise Penny

2012 – My Favorite Super Nutrition Novel (It entertained and informed.)

Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver

2012 – My Favorite “Dessert” Book (it just made me happy)

The Darlings by Cristina Alger

Runners-up:
Mrs. Queen Takes the Train by William Kuhn and 
Delicacy by David Foenkinos

2012 – My Favorite Ironic Book(s) (Sushi)

Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer
and
Where’d You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple

2012 – My Favorite “Emotionally Tough but I’m Glad I Read it” Book

The Yellow Birds by Kevin Powers

Runner-up: When She Woke by Hillary Jordan

2012 – My Favorite Book(s) for the Soul

Beginner’s Grace: Bringing Prayer into Your Life by Kate Braestrup
and Flunking Sainthood by Jana Riess

2012 – My Favorite Children’s Book for Anyone over the Age of Eight

Wonder by R. J. Palacio

2012 – My Favorite Young Adult Novel

Every Day by David Levithan

No comments:

Post a Comment